A Sustainable Future
Veligandu believes that sustainable actions ensure a sustainable future. It is this ethos that drives the islands efforts in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Environmental Responsibility and Enterprise Development.
- Veligandu cut waste consumption during 2017 by 13kg per guest per night, over-reaching the islands target of 5kg per guest per night.
- 2017 saw an energy saving of 2%, with a 2% higher occupancy than 2016.
- During 2017 the resort replaced 97% of the island’s light bulbs to LED.
- Veligandu donated two machines to Rasdhoo local island, one compactor and one glass crusher. Part of the initiative is to reduce local island waste and educate local communities. The Veligandu team delivered the machines to the site, installed and educated the staff working at the waste management centre.
- The island practices responsible sourcing with regards to local ingredients and utilises local suppliers where possible. The business aims to empower and grow the local community. This commitment encourages economic growth and ensures a self-sustaining future market.
- Veligandu has achieved the internationally recognised Travelife for Hotels & Accommodations Gold Certification. Travelife, the sustainable tourism certification scheme, has assessed Veligandu’s performance in responsibly managing its socio – economic and environmental impacts.