A Sustainable Future
Vilamendhoo believes that sustainable actions ensure a sustainable future. It is this ethos that drives the resorts efforts in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Environmental Responsibility and Enterprise Development.
- The resort utilises reusable glass bottles for water and eco-friendly straws in all rooms and outlets, decreasing the amount of plastic waste the resort produces.
- The resort aims to work with the local community to preserve the natural environment, to this end the Mantra Trust provides interactive educational classes with local school children in Dhangethi in collaboration with SEA department while conducting much needed research.
- The business practices responsible sourcing with regards to local ingredients and utilises local suppliers where possible. The resort aims to empower and grow the local community. This commitment encourages economic growth and ensures a self-sustaining future market.
- Annual island programmes for guests and staff include island cleaning, tree planting and lagoon cleaning.
- The resort recycles across the island and composts a lot of the wet waste produced, the compost is then used in the resort’s gardens.
- Vilamendhoo has achieved the internationally recognised Travelife for Hotels & Accommodations Gold Certification. Travelife, the sustainable tourism certification scheme, has assessed Vilamendhoo’s performance in responsibly managing its socio – economic and environmental impacts.